It's a long drive from LA to Mammoth so we try to break up the trek with a stop mid-way somewhere fun. Fossil Falls was our choice again today. The girls were asking 'how long 'till Fossil Falls from Lancaster on. As we entered Rose Valley we could see the massive cinder cone from twenty miles away. A few miles from our turn off I put the idea of looking for Indian arrowheads into their heads. Who can resist a treasure hunt?
We jumped out of the car and read the interpretive boards describing volcanos, floods and artifacts. Minnie checked with me one last time to make certain the volcano right next door was extinct and not planning on extincting us.
Fears assuaged we marched on. I remembered seeing massive piles of reject arrowheads littering the ground, but could I produce today? It had only been about 20 years and for all I knew, assuming I remembered where to find them, they could all have become souvenirs. well we got lucky and not only found thousands of obsidian chips littering the ground, we also happened upon some cool rock art!
The sun was setting so we climbed around in some lava tubes before we drove on to dinner in Bishop and our place in June Lake. Tomorrow, tele!
Enjoy!
-greg
Great photos! What an adventure! I can't wait to get home each day to catch up with you guys!
ReplyDeleteWill you guys get to see the poppies in Lancaster on the way back?
ReplyDeleteCool looking pics and finds!
ReplyDelete